How to Apply
PhD program is administered by the Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Prospective students who have a master’s degree in nursing (or equivalent) are eligible to apply. To request more information about the program please contact the PhD Registrar.
Application Deadline: December 15, 2021
Minimum requirements for admission to the YSN Ph.D. program include:
- Master’s degree in nursing or equivalent.
- Grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale for graduate level work preferred.
- Competitive Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken no more than 5 years prior to application.
Applicants whose native language is not English must present evidence of proficiency in English by satisfactorily completing the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), which is administered by ETS, or the International Language Testing System (IELTS). Applicants who received or will receive an undergraduate degree from a college or university where English is the primary language of instruction are exempt from the English Language Test requirement and are not required to submit the TOEFL or IELTS. Applicants must have studied in residence at the undergraduate institution for at least three years to qualify. The TOEFL or IELTS, if required, should be taken as early as possible to ensure that officical scores are released and received no later than the stated deadline of the program for which the student is applying.
Previous coursework in statistics within the last 5 years with a minimum grade of High Pass, B, 3.0 or equivalent.
Completion of a graduate-level research methods course within the last 5 years with a grade of at least High Pass, B, 3.0 or equivalent.
- Admission essay as described in the online application.
- References from three individuals, one of whom must be doctorally prepared, that address the student’s aptitude for doctoral study.
- Sample of written work (e.g., published article, thesis, literature review).
Applications are submitted online to the Graduate School. Acceptance to the YSN Ph.D. program is highly competitive. Competitive applicants will be invited for an interview at the YSN. Final admission decisions are made by the Yale University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
- Completed online YSN PhD application
- Statement of Purpose (500-1000 words).
In your essay, please tell us why you want a research career and how PhD study in nursing at Yale can help you to achieve your goals. Please include how your past work/experiences have informed your decision for a PhD, as well as your intended field of study. Also, please describe your research interests, ideas for research that you want to conduct, and how this research will further the mission of Yale University School of Nursing – “better health for all people”.
- An academic writing sample.
This can be a master’s thesis or other substantial research paper you might have written and published.
- Transcripts of all your previous academic work should be uploaded to the application site. For degrees earned outside the United States, credits must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES), Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), or Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) with a course-by-course evaluation.
- Official GRE Scores. Yale’s GRE code is 3987.
- Three letters of recommendation.
At least one letter should come from a faculty member at the last institution attended/last degree you received.
International applicants to the doctoral program must also submit official results from the TOEFL or IELTS exam: taken within the last two (2) years for all non-native English speakers. This requirement can be waived if the applicant has completed a master’s degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or another English-speaking country.
Next Step in the Application Process | Interview
We will contact you should you qualify for this step in the application process.