How to Apply
The PhD program is administered by the Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Prospective students who have a master’s degree in nursing (or equivalent) are eligible to apply. To request more information about the program please complete this form .
Prospective RN candidates with a bachelor’s degree, may apply to our MSN-PhD Joint Degree program. (Not being offered 2021-2022)
Application Deadline: December 1, 2020.
- Completed online YSN PhD application
- Statement of Purpose (500-1000 words).
In your essay, please tell us why you want a research career and how PhD study in nursing at Yale can help you to achieve your goals. Please include how your past work/experiences have informed your decision for a PhD, as well as your intended field of study. Also, please describe your research interests, ideas for research that you want to conduct, and how this research will further the mission of Yale University School of Nursing – “better health for all people”.
- An academic writing sample.
This can be a master’s thesis or other substantial research paper you might have written and published.
- Transcripts of all your previous academic work should be uploaded to the application site. For degrees earned outside the United States, credits must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES), Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), or Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) with a course-by-course evaluation.
- Official GRE Scores. Yale’s GRE code is 3987.
- Three letters of recommendation.
At least one letter should come from a faculty member at the last institution attended/last degree you received.
International applicants to the doctoral program must also submit official results from the TOEFL or IELTS exam: taken within the last two (2) years for all non-native English speakers.
Next Step in the Application Process | Interview
We will contact you should you qualify for this step in the application process.