Post Master’s APRN Certificates
Post Master’s APRN (Advanced Practice Registered Nurse) certification is currently available in these four areas:
- adult/gerontology acute care nurse practitioner
- family nurse practitioner
- pediatric nurse practitioner - acute care
- pediatric nurse practitioner - primary care
- psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner
While many students complete the post master’s APRN program within two years, the program allows students to design individualized plans of study with faculty, in accordance with student backgrounds, career objectives, and outside commitments.
Tuition is charged on a per-credit basis. In 2020-21, the per-credit rate is $1,820; rates for 2021-22 have not yet been determined. Students are not charged for courses that are waived by either transcript or challenge examination. Post master’s APRN certificate students are not eligible for scholarship aid, but may be eligible for loans for graduate and professional students.
PMC Application Requirements:
- Online Application
- Current Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Current RN license
- Three letters of recommendation (academic and professional)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores ( required of all non-native English speakers)
- Essay (400-600 words)
- Two short answer essays (150-300 words)
Please address the following three questions in an integrated and comprehensive essay. Applicants will be evaluated on their ability to compose a well-written and well-organized essay as well as on the substance, thoughtfulness, and clarity of their responses:
- Why do you wish to pursue a career in the specialty area of your choice?
Please expand upon both: (a) your choice to pursue a career as an advanced practice nurse rather another profession; (b) the development of your specific interest in the clinical specialty you have selected.
- What factors have influenced your decision?
Please describe any significant life experiences that have contributed to your self-understanding and development, with respect to your interest in a Post-Master’s Certificate. You may discuss, for example, how academic and professional experiences, cross-cultural engagement, or volunteer roles and service projects have shaped your career aspirations and ambitions. Or, consider observations from your career in nursing thus far, such as your own experiences working with other health care professionals and your perspectives on health systems, illness and/or crisis situations.
- What is your understanding of the purpose of the Post-Master’s Certificate at Yale?
Please articulate: (a) the types of knowledge and skills you are interested in developing through the Certificate program; (b) the ways in which the Certificate will help advance your pursuit of your stated professional and career aspirations; (c) how specific aspects of the program, curriculum, faculty, or any other of the Yale School of Nursing’s resources or characteristics, will empower you to achieve your goals in the nursing profession.
- Please provide a balanced assessment of your personal characteristics as they pertain to a professional environment. Identify your strengths and weaknesses, as well as areas you are working to improve. Discuss your interpersonal style, both in interactions with individuals as well as in group settings. What leadership qualities, conflict management skills, and other characteristics of yours influence how others perceive and respond to you?
- Yale School of Nursing’s mission is “better health for all people.” What does that mean to you? How do you intend to inhabit and implement YSN’s mission over the course of your nursing training and career?