Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
The Yale School of Nursing (YSN) has an established record of leading innovations in education, practice, scholarship, and research.
Faculty endeavors cover a wide array of topics that encompass and address social determinants of health and health disparities, identifying best practices to improve the wellbeing of underrepresented and vulnerable populations. The YSN Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI) supports strategic initiatives aimed at advancing health equity and directly contributing to YSN’s mission of better health for all people. ODEI strives to guide the school’s growth to increase and improve diversity, thereby creating an environment that is more reflective of the communities we serve.
YSN ODEI strives to foster and sustain a YSN community that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive for all. YSN ODEI supports Belonging at Yale’s institution-wide pursuit to develop an environment where we can be ourselves, seek our full potential, and freely participate in the vibrant life of a scholarly community and its pursuit of excellence.
To make YSN a national model for diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in nursing.
- Actively enhance diversity of YSN faculty, staff, and students through innovative and evidence-based methods of recruitment, career development, retention, and advancement.
- Develop and employ strategies to increase representation and enhance inclusion, belonging, and support for faculty, staff, and students from underrepresented identity groups.
- Provide education, training and development, celebration, and community-building opportunities aimed at increasing diversity competencies of all YSN faculty, staff, preceptors, and students.
- Provide platforms for all YSN faculty, staff, and students to share their experiences and engage in diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) efforts, including supporting IDEAS Council as a representative delegation of all YSN constituents.
- Provide consultation and support to YSN faculty, staff, and students on DEIB matters.
- Lead in the development and accountable implementation of the YSN DEIB plan.
- Provide access to reporting and support for issues related to sexual misconduct, discrimination, and harassment.
- Celebrate the DEIB excellence of YSN faculty, staff, students, and alums.
- Engage YSN alums and our surrounding communities in YSN DEIB efforts.
- Collaborate across YSN and other Yale units on DEIB initiatives.