Yale School of Nursing (YSN) affiliates presented their latest scholarly research at the 15th Annual YNHHS Janet Parkosewich Nursing Research Conference at the Yale West Campus Conference Center on April 13.
The conference is named for Nurse Researcher at Yale New Haven Hospital Janet Parkosewich ’85 MSN, ’08 DNSc, RN, FAHA, and YSN presenters included current MSN and doctoral students.
Interim Dean Holly Powell Kennedy, PhD, CNM, FACNM, FAAN provided opening remarks and the keynote address was given by Joyce J. Fitzpatrick, PhD, MBA, FN, FAAN, Elizabeth Brooks Ford Professor of Nursing at the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing at Case Western Reserve University.
Post-Master’s Clinical Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program student C. Chime Karkhang, MSN, APRN, AGACNP-BC was featured in the “Scholarly Work of Nurses: Doctorate of Nursing Practice Exemplars” section of the program. She presented her work on “Increasing Transplant Medication Knowledge Through Implementation of a Medication Education Intervention Algorithm.” Karkhang is currently at the Yale-New Haven Health Transplantation Center.
Research and Education Librarian Janene Batten, Ed.D., partnered with Director of Surgical Services at Yale New Haven Hospital Chika Anueyiagu, DNP, RN-BC, NE-BC and Strategy and Learning Specialist at Yale New Haven Hospital Pat Span, PhD, RN, CPHQ, CENP on their presentation: “The Covid-19 Pandemic: Exploration of Nurse Leaders’ Experiences Managing the Clinical Environment during a Crisis.”
PhD Poster Presenters
Several YSN doctoral students took the opportunity to present posters at this conference, close to home base on Yale West Campus. They include:
· PhD student Samuel Akyirem, MRes, RN presented a poster titled “The Impact of Type 2 Diabetes Stigma on Clinical, Psychological, and Behavioral Outcomes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.”
· PhD student Laura L. Manzo, MSN, MBA, BSN, CCRN presented the poster “Interprofessional team staffing in ICUs: A qualitative descriptive study of challenges and opportunities.”
· PhD student Yan Zhan, MBA, RN presented the poster “Specialist Palliative Care and Cardiology Clinicians Perspectives of Outpatient Palliative Care Delivery: What components, delivery characteristics, and implementation strategies matter?”
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Poster Presenters
DNP students also took the time to share their latest research during a busy conference season. DNP presenters include:
· Post-Master’s Clinical DNP student Roxana Bustamente ’23 DNP, MSN, APRN, AGACNP-BC presented the poster “Implementing prediabetes Screening During Hospitalization in an Internal Medicine Unit.”
· Healthcare Leadership, Systems, and Policy DNP student Lisa Czaplinski ’23 DNP, MSN, RN, CMSRN presented the poster “Implementing a workload tool to increase float nurses job satisfaction and reduce intent to leave the workplace.”
Prospective students interested in YSN DNP courses of study are invited to attend an upcoming information session.
· Healthcare Leadership, Systems, and Policy DNP will be host the next information session on Wednesday, April 28 at noon.
· The next Post-Master’s Clinical DNP information session will be scheduled soon.
DNP applications are due June 23.
Post-Doctoral Fellow Poster Presenter
Post-doctoral fellow Sayantani Sarkar, B.Sc. Nursing (pictured) presented the poster “Association between adverse childhood experiences ACE and binge drinking among adult cancer survivors: A population-based study.”
MSN Virtual Poster Presenter
Peggy O. Wong ’24 MSN, BA, RN presented the virtual poster “A Novel Digital Interactive Theater-Based Intervention to Promote Empathy, Mental, and Emotional Wellbeing Among AAPI Individuals.”
Wong’s recent work also includes the virtual event “Hanging with Our Younger Selves: Uplifting the Future of AAPI Mental Health” on April 24.
YSN alumna Anne Aquila ’89 MSN, RN, CENP, Director of Nursing Patient Care Services at Bridgeport Hospital, was honored with the Marita Titler Evidence Based Practice Award.
Presented awards also included Marge Funk Nursing Research Award, whose namesake is YSN Professor Emerita Marjorie Funk ’84 MSN, ‘92 PhD, RN, FAHA. The 2023 recipient is Lisa Marks, MSN, RN-BC, NPD-BC, Nursing Profession Development Specialist at Yale New Haven Hospital’s Center for Professional Practice Excellence.
The Tish Knobf Nursing Research Award is named for YSN Professor of Nursing, Chair of the PhD Program and Co-Director of Graduate Studies M. Tish Knobf ’82 MSN, PhD, RN, FAAN. The 2023 recipient is Ena Williams, PhD, MBA, MSM, BSN, RN, CENP, Chief Nursing Officer at Yale New Haven Hospital.